We've been at a deadlock for a few weeks now, our previous coding pace has turned into a lot of contemplation and side discussions about the greater issues with the PySoy codebase.
I think we have a roadmap forward, or enough of one to post these in a blog entry:
First, PySoy 1.0 will not be released until after Python 3.0 this Fall, and it would be pointless to continue developing with 2.x in target. Python 3.0 also has a large number of useful changes for our project. Our target platform should therefore be 3.0 (and it's alpha/beta's for now).
Second, with the release of Pyrex 0.9.7 Greg has, once again, introduced a major language change (the "for" statement) without even soliciting input from the community. This has sealed the deal for us, even if our immediate issues are fixed we cannot continue to subject ourselves to a language that changes in incompatible ways between 2 micro versions (0.9.6 -> 0.9.8, when the old syntax will not be supported).
We earlier started a Cython variant to support PySoy's codebase, but given recent developments in their community, the timelines of our projects, and their choice to stick with Python 2.x for now, we're moving forward on a Pyrex replacement written from scratch and targeting Python 3.0.
We're going to use a similar language style to Pyrex, Greg certainly had some good ideas, and will keep language porting in mind, but there will be changes. We will also not be using any of his code including his Plex module, Pyrex and Cython's lexical analyzer which is the core of those packages.
PySoy Beta3, earlier aimed for release in "early Spring", has been indefinably postponed as we work on that. The subversion repository is of course open, and development can and will continue, but we cannot release until the new build system is complete.